May 15, 2013

My Ideology

If there’s one thing I could’ve[1] said to my Sociology of Inequality class, it’s that markets are natural forces. They cannot be defied indefinitely. Just as ideology is more powerful than coercion in the survival of societies, markets are more powerful than our resistance to them. If you don’t do things efficiently it doesn’t matter your goal, you wasted resources. Our optimal progress depends on working with natural forces; it’s just like sailing. 

Progress that more widely benefits humanity is certainly possible. Every dictator who falls, or monopoly that can’t adapt fast enough will benefit that progress. When markets are not manipulated to serve governments, businesses, countries, regions, or groups in particular, but the people of all of them in general, we’ll have reached our potential. That is what we should be striving to do, because nothing else will work.









1. I actually could have, I just didn't.

No comments: